Thursday, February 7, 2008

Job-hunting is never easy

Hello there!

Welcome to my blog. This is the first time I take a stab at blogging, so I hope I don't suck at it. Let me start by saying that I am an out-of-job Bilingual copywriter and translator (English/Spanish). I used to have a job until April 2007, when I resigned to my copywriter position at a large financial company in the Northeast in order to move to Florida with my family. I've had a couple interviews since we moved down here, but I still haven't found a job. Most jobs in this area are geared towards the retail/service/tourism industry and I can't really work nights and weekends, since we have a young child at home.

Even finding freelance work has been difficult. Every now and then someone would ask me to give them a quote for a translation job, and even though I try to give them a low price, I don't hear back from them. I wonder whether people are practically offering to work for free. The way the economy is nowadays, that wouldn't surprise me.

Just yesterday I went to this Monster.com job fair and it was a total waste of time. They didn't include the names of the companies featured at the fair, and of course, when we went inside, we found that it was mostly geared to retail management, insurance, etc. Nothing that I could really relate to. I would love for Monster to include the names of the companies they feature at their events and stop this misleading practice.

I've also been trying to find some decent work to do from home, but all I've found has to do with responding to surveys for free (they give you some points, but I still don't have enough points to get anything—even though I've responded like crazy!) and other "free" offers that aren't really free (they always require you to sign up for something, one way or another). I should know better since I have been in marketing for a long time now!

Sometimes I wonder whether I should go back to college to get a new degree. I am leaning towards getting a degree in education, psychology or speech therapy. Something that, unlike advertising, doesn't require me to be in a big city to find a job. I'm finding that my options are very limited in advertising, and as a Bilingual Copywriter, I'd have a better chance if I lived in New York, Texas, Miami or L.A.—but we're just sick and tired of moving around the country because of some job. So this is big decision I will need to make—probably sooner rather than later.

As for the fun writing goes, I need to get back to a story I've been writing for years. See if I can finish it, and find a way to publish it. It's a light story, more like a romance story or a romantic comedy. I need to start making a list of all my ideas. Maybe I'll post them here.

Well, this is it for today. If there's anyone reading these lines, I sure hope they're still awake!

See you soon and thanks for stopping by.

Writer Wannabe

1 comment:

Rosa Fierro said...

Just by reading the tile of your blog I can see how talented you are! Follow your dreams and keep writing your book, and of course, post a comment when is ready!